Trek to Mt. Everest Base Camp view from Kalapathar Mountain!
Everest Base Camp Kalapathar Trek is a famous for its spectacular mountain peaks and the loyalty and friendliness of its inhabitants (The Sherpas), the Everest region or Everest Base Camp Trek (Khumbu) is one of the most popular destinations for tourists in Nepal.
The ascent of “Kala Patthar“ begins at Gorakshep (5,164 m or 16,942 ft), the original base camp for Mt. Everest. After a brief dip to an ancient lake bed (which now contains a small lake and a helipad), the ascent makes its way up a series of steep switchbacks before levelling off somewhat as it traverses to the eastern side of the mountain.
While Everest Base Camp Kalapathar Trek is possible in this area the whole year round, the best times to visit are from the beginning of March to mid May and from the beginning of September to mid November. The winters are very cold and snow may make it difficult to travel higher than Tengboche, and also lodges may be closed above this altitude. Summers, on the other hand, are wet, and the spectacular peaks are often lost in the clouds.
April and early May is a good time to see the hedgerows and trees bursting into bloom, with Rhododendrons, in particular, adding a spectacular splash of colour to the landscape. However, dust from the plains of India during the spring routinely provide less than ideal conditions for clear mountain views. The views are much better after the summer monsoons have cleared the atmosphere of dust, but the days are shorter and cooler.
Everest Base Camp Kalapathar Trek can be as short as a two day walk from Lukla to Namche Bazaar or an eight to ten day trip to Everest Base Camp. Irrespective of the length of the journey, as there are no roads in the area, it will definitely involve putting on hiking boots and walking the mountain paths. Below is an itinerary from Lukla Airport to Everest Base Camp and all points in between.
Outline Itinerary of Everest Base Camp Kalapathar Trek
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
- Day 02: Fly to Lukla 2,830 m & trek to Phakding 2,640 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 03: Trek to Namche Bazaar 3,440 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 04: Rest day at Namche Bazaar for acclimatization and excursion.
- Day 05: Trek to Thyangboche 3,867 m – 05hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Dingboche 4,260 m – 05hrs.
- Day 07: Rest day at Dingboche for acclimatization and excursion.
- Day 08: Trek to Lobuche 4,930 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 09: Trek to Gorak Shep 5,170 m & Everest Base Camp 5,364 m and return to Gorakshep – 06 hrs.
- Day 10: Hike to Kalapathar 5,545 m trek to Pheriche 4,240m – 05 hrs.
- Day 11: Trek to Thyangboche – 05 hrs.
- Day 12: Trek to Monjo 2,860m – 06 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Lukla – 04 hrs.
- Day 14: Fly back to Kathmandu and transfer to respective hotels.
- Day 15: In Kathmandu free day with sightseeing tour.
- Day 16: International departure for home ward bound.